Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Infants & Toddlers


I've been facilitating the currently running PITC series of classes and have been reminded how much I loved Stanely Greenspan's work and his book "First Feelings" when my kids were babies. I'm even more thankful now that I read it then because of the recent data showing how critical emotional development in infancy is to the long term success of the individual -- -more important than anything else kids learn in the first 3 years of life! From my first hand experience I'd have to say that it is true.
The book is available from Amazon for under $5 and although the copyright is 1985, infants are still arriving in Version 1.0 no add ons or technological advancements. (Perfection can't be improved!) Our world is not the same as in 1985 but how infant's perceive and interact has not changed one bit (thank goodness!). Establishing a strong emotional foundation will serve the children well in coping with the world as it is today and however it will be in the future.

http://www.amazon.com/First-Feelings-Milestones-Emotional-Development/dp/0140119884/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

You won't be sorry if you add this to your professional or parenting library.

No comments: